Joe Dirts Poker Attitude

"It takes Chips not Brains to go all-in of which now you have neither"

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

This frickin game is really pissin me off

Playing in a satty to the 100K on stars tonight and doing ok. Took a couple small pots to get my stack up to around 2.4K and followed a few hands later with QQ bringing me to 6.5K, two hands later I am dealt AA from mid pos. I check my coast potential and I am in 11th place with 42 to go, top 27 qual, so I still have to play some poker before coasting. The villain from utg shoves in with a little over 4k, 2 folds and I feel that I have to call. Rather then have someone else come along I decide to shove instead of call. Villain flips up 88 to my AA and hit a set on the flop crippling me to around 2k in chips. Exactly four hands later from utg I get AA again. I feel like folding the facking cards right there. I totally felt that a 23 off was a better hand at that very moment. I raise 3x to $450 from the utg pos all along while chat is still going on from my last adventure with this same hand so I figure cool it will be a funny hand once I get my money back. co+1 calls my raise, and the bb goes all in with 1875 in chips, the caller has 750 left so I do the exact same thing thinking the exact same thoughts in regards to the number of players in the hand and shove hoping that the caller will go away, but now we have three all in the hand. I turn up the AA, the caller in the co+1 turns up KQ, and the bb turns up JJ. The board comes out 7,7,3,6, (party starting to get louder in my pants) facking J.

This is what causes the typical beginner to on line poker the most problems and pretty much restricts their ability to get any better at the game. I no for a fact that I will not call a shove with AA again for a very long time or at least until which time I can feel confident that my opponent has some sort of a brain. I would just a soon go blind then to play a hand that has so few ways of being played only to have it repeat itself as a failure multiple times in a row. There is just no way to play these donks and win from skills alone. At this level of play the entire game is nothing but luck because the players are playing in ways impossible to predict. I truly think that I need to move up to a level that will allow for skill as compared to luck and see what happens. A level where the player have been playing for a year or two and has at least a clue as what not to take chances with. The methods taught and written in books come from many years of playing the game at a level of which everyone at the table have a working knowledge of how to play a hand and are not the methods proven to work in the micro levels filled with players who haven't the slightest idea of how to play. I am now beginning to understand why the chat box fills with negative banter after a donk plays so stupid and yet still wins the pot. I find it very frustrating that I have given so much time to learning the proper way to play only to be beat up again and again by these thoughtless, lucky ass donks. There should be a skills test you have to take before getting into any match and the results of that test determine what type of players your matched against.

End of rant.

jd

3 comments:

dealisup said...

Ugggggly beats, but come on Joe. You know better. It happens. Move on knowing that you played it correctly. If you deviate from playing correctly due to short term results your BR is in for a decline.

Donks get rewarded every once in a while and it reinforces the donk move in their mind. This is good. Could you imagine if the best player won all the time? It would become like golf and all of us would be on the couch watching instead of playing and thinking we were good.

Thy said...

Joe!!!! hey buddy, this is nothing new, you KNOW that, right? but sometimes good guys come out on top {your 2nd seat in the 75K}

LOL but.. if you weren't bitching you wouldn't be a poker player...

GL GL GL this weekend..

T
XO

ps.. 19 more sleeps.. :o)

Thy said...

hmmmm... so when are we gonna see a May entry? hmmmmmm?